Thursday, June 6, 2013

Brass slide breech #2!


Sup guys,

At the last war I attended, I was stuck playing pistol rounds with a single barrel speedloader, which sucked pretty hard. I felt like the dudes in the Civil War that carried powder and ramrods--it took days to reload! I knew that it was time for an upgrade, and I decided to mod myself a 6'' slide breech to complement my original 12'' breech. This time I went with brass hardware to complement my breech, and I think it turned out beautifully!


This breech was specifically designed to be as short as possible to keep my pistols compact. The opening barely fits my 1 1/4'' Stefans. The overall length is 8 3/8'', which isn't too bad. Extra length is needed at the attachment point to keep the acorn nut from being stopped by the 1/2'' coupler, as well as at the front of the breech to keep the brass barrel from being exposed while opening the breech. This breech unfortunately has two problems with it:
  1. The PVC/brass barrel fit is a little loose, so the barrel slides down if you open the breech and point the barrel upwards. More of an inconvenience than a problem I would say, although I'm not sure this is solvable.
  2. My 1/2'' brass piece (thinnest piece) wasn't cut with a pipe cutter the flare the end inward, so some darts get pushed into it. I will be solving this by gluing a piece of 15/32'' brass into the 1/2'' piece.
Problems aside, this breech is extremely accurate and a lot of fun to use!


Overall, I like my second very much--it makes reloading a lot quicker and looks sexy as well. If you want to make one of these for yourself, check out my original post!

Thanks for reading!
~T da B

No comments:

Post a Comment