Sunday, May 5, 2013

Back in action!

Sup guys,

It has been a while, but I'm back to the land of the living. Last month was a tough one for me due to sickness and a record-breaking workload at my job. We just released the newest version of our product and I was 100% in charge of testing the user interface, so I busted my ass to stamp out as many bugs as I could in a short time. Now that it's May, I can finally enjoy a short reprieve.

Although I didn't post very much at all last month, I was still putting in work behind the scenes. The main blaster that I've been working on is my Supermaxx 1500:

I have really been struggling to cram all the components I need into this slim package. It's no problem in a chunky Airtech 3000, but the SM1500 has much less room inside for goodies. Also, no one else has ever attempted what I am doing, so I have nobody's work to use for reference. On Monday I will be receiving what is hopefully my last part to finish the mod (mini hose clamps). In the end, my setup should be able to reliably handle 100+ psi!

The other mod that I have been working on is more of a repair than a mod--fixing my Longshot's brass breech. I spent a great deal of time last month learning about soldering, brazing, and welding and have finally acquired the necessary components to actually do it! On the bottom of the picture a bar of copper that will be sculpted into a new bolt sled attachment nub. The white dropper contains flux, which is used to prepare a surface for soldering. It removes the oxides on the metal surface and makes the solder stick to wherever you apply it. In the middle of the picture is the solder, which is usually a combination of metals. Mine contains silver, which causes the solder joint to be stronger than the actual metals you are bonding! Finally, on the left is my new butane torch, which can put out a flame that is 2500 degrees Fahrenheit. Stay tuned for a write-up.

Hang in there, guys!
~T

No comments:

Post a Comment