Tuesday, September 30, 2014

30,000 views and beyond!

Sup people,

Wow--brings back memories!
As unbelievable as it seems, I have hit 30,000 views! I guess people really do care about this esoteric little hobby. Though I've only been on board for a little over two years, I've seen blasters evolve in the craziest ways. This hobby also entails more than just modding blasters--you learn how to use tools, you learn about materials and chemicals, and you learn how to debug and get creative. Even with all the pedantic douchebags, there is so much to learn and apply! Building off each other and forging new designs has always been the end goal of the community and it has certainly done that. I'm glad to have made my small contributions!
At this point I feel like I've accomplished much and I'm ready to start branching out to other hobbies again. Not to worry--I'll probably never quit Nerf modding, but I'll be slowing my pace to a few blasters a year from now on. I've been completely sucked into the automotive engineering universe and I've been hitting the forums like a crack fiend! Just like with Nerfhaven I've been grinding for hours gathering ideas, checking out other people's builds, buying parts, and trusting very few in the process.

You get bombarded with loads of misinformation and many an acronym, such as PCV, EGR, and LSD. I have great fun learning about why someone's engine exploded, and it actually helps me become aware of things in my own ride before they get serious.

Likewise, it's equally fun learning new concepts, like Positive Crankcase Ventilation (a pollution control system that is polluting your intake as we speak). You also learn about lols in the industry--namely car companies putting out cars with serious known defects. A perfect example would be direct injection intake valve coking--it's a mouthful but should make you think twice before buying a car with a direct injected engine.

Lastly I enjoy dreaming and drooling over the crazy expensive and elaborate high horsepower builds. People have managed to squeeze 700+ horsepower out of a stock 2.2-liter S2000 engine block!

Knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Speaking of horsepower, my current project is actually boosting my S2000! To be specific, I've decided to slap on a centrifugal supercharger--no I don't have children and don't plan on having them soon. I had the dumb luck of having a friend of mine decide to sell his S2000 that had the exact kit I desired on it. It's gonna be awesome!

As with Nerf, once you go past a certain power level you need to start reinforcing and upgrading if you don't want things to go boom. I'm currently upgrading my fueling so my engine will have enough gas to mix with the greatly increased air volume. In addition, my clutch is way too soft for the power I'll be putting down so there's another investment. I'm almost sure I'll be replacing my differential somewhere down the road as well--now you can see one of the major advantages of Nerf modding!

In any case, I'll try to keep you guys updated on my life in general. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for my next Nerf project. I kinda wanna do a LiPo Stampede, but at the same time a double-clipped Magstrike would be amazing as well! Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm still alive and kicking.

~T

3 comments:

  1. I've pretty much stopped modding because I got my first car haha, VW diesel rabbit, 2dr 45mpg :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats! A little more expensive than Nerf, eh?

      Delete
    2. Defiantly haha, still tuning it up but planning on throwing a 2.0lt turbo in ;)

      Delete