Friday, August 30, 2013

Centurion Review

Hello people,

I haven't posted in a while, and I just got my Centurion in the mail recently so I figured I might as well do a quick review of Nerf's most ridiculous blaster to date!


Cosmetics:
The Centurion looks pretty badass--like a sniper rifle straight out of Halo. The red and white is a nice departure from the Elite line. I do think the blaster looks better without the barrel, but that's just me. The built-in stock is nicely sized for an adult. Suffice it to say, in the hands of a child the blaster would look comical, especially with the barrel attachment. The front of the main part of the blaster looks a little weird, but will look much better after getting a proper mod.

Ergonomics:
The blaster feels very nice in the hands--the only issue is the monster prime. You have to really almost punch yourself in the face to get this thing cocked. Another peeve I had was that the bolt handle would tend to get pushed back an inch after being pushed all the way forwards--this meant you couldn't pull the trigger. I was also kind of pissed when I couldn't get the clip in without flipping a little switch that the front barrel is supposed to depress. They really want that thing to be attached... Anyways, the feeling is nice when taking a shot, as there is some "recoil." However, the joys eventually get outweighed by the glaring problems, as will be explained.

"Special" Features:
The MEGA Centurion features the MEGA-sized MEGA darts that are intended for MEGA distance. They are twice the size of normal streamlines, and much more hollow. This makes them squish very easily and not get chambered properly. In addition, the added size and high coefficient of friction causes the ginormous clip not to advance sometimes. The only thing MEGA about this blaster is its MEGA chambering issues.

Performance:
Utter shit. I'm not going to lie--I was expecting miracle ranges out of this bad boy and I was disappointed in the end. You would think with a name like "Centurion" that an angled shot would hit the "century mark," but I guess they instead went with the Roman warrior theme and painted the blaster red. Even my first shot failed to leave the barrel and got jammed. As explained previously, the new Mega darts are flimsy and hard to chamber. Getting a full clip of darts to fire successfully is a MEGA accomplishment.

Moddability:
Pretty high--perhaps the only reason I bought this blaster. That, and I have a sick pleasure for taking shitty blasters and making them beastly. I will be doing away with any and all oversized nonsense and making something reliable and worthy of wielding. I'm thinking a shotgun gripped-Centurion wouldn't be too hard to make! Anyways, that's far into the future.

Verdict:
You catch the drift. I hope you guys enjoyed this review, even though the Centurion will probably be inducted into the Hasbro Hall of Shame. Anyways, stay tuned for my upcoming Stampede mod.

Peace,
~T

No comments:

Post a Comment