Sunday, February 24, 2013

Bringing in the heavy artillery

Hey reader,

If you have read my last couple of posts, you know that I'm gearing up for the upper echelon of Nerf mods--homemades! By now I own quite a few tools, including screwdrivers, hammer, mallet, a Dremel, drill press, diagonal cutters, pliers, pipe cutters, hobby knives, scissors, hacksaw, metal scribe, metal shears, glue gun, and more. Unfortunately, this isn't enough. For example, I have no way to cut complex shapes out of plastic sheeting or wood. Today I made a trip to Orchard Supply Hardware to pick up the last piece of the puzzle--a scroll saw!

The way it works is very simple--a thin blade that runs through the table oscillates up and down, so all you need to do is feed in whatever you're cutting into the blade and follow the line (or curve) you draw. The table tilts up to 45 degrees and the speed is adjustable. There are several types of blades that can be used, including normal, skip-tooth, crowned, and spiral. Overall, this saw seems well-made and definitely worth the price at a little over $100. In addition, I get a 1-year warranty which is a nice bonus.

It's time to take my mods to the next level--I hope you all stick around for the ride!
~T da B

No comments:

Post a Comment